By Morgan Lawrence
Mayor Landrieu joined FEMA’s Albert Walters (pictured at podium), City and State officials and community stakeholders to break ground on the new Hunter’s Field Playground Clubhouse on 1601 N. Claiborne Ave.
In addition to the new clubhouse, improvements are being made to the existing building and amphitheater. Once complete, the new 3,500-square foot facility will include a reception area, two multi-purpose rooms to support a variety of NORD programs for all ages, an industrial kitchen to support food service activity, two concession widows for interior and exterior service, storage space, and Americans with disabilities (ADA) accessible men’s and women’s restrooms.
This development began seven years ago in 2010 and took almost four years to complete. In addition to the success of the renovated playground, NORDC (New Orleans Recreation Development Commission) received national accreditation in September for the first time. Moreover, this installment is one of many investments from the city’s $150 million pocket book to build a brand new amenity that the community deserves.
This playground embodies a significant commitment to the existence of the effort and excitement of New Orleans’ public servants.