The National Weather Service predicts that temperatures, factoring in wind chill, will drop below the threshold of 35 degrees Fahrenheit for more than four hours overnight Wednesday, Nov. 14, triggering the activation of the freeze plan. The coldest period is forecast to be in the early morning hours of Thursday, Nov. 15, with “feels like” temperatures at 29 degrees.
City officials are advising residents and visitors to take precautions during cold weather.
The freeze plan will be in effect to provide temporary overnight shelter for homeless residents. The public is asked to call the New Orleans Police Department non-emergency number, 504-821-2222, to report someone in need of shelter.
Individuals needing shelter will be accepted, free of charge, at the following locations under the following conditions:
- Low Barrier Shelter, 1530 Gravier St., will accept adult residents beginning at 8 p.m.
- The Salvation Army, 4530 S. Claiborne Ave., will accept men and women beginning at 4 p.m.
- Ozanam Inn, 843 Camp St., will accept men beginning at 4 p.m.
- Covenant House, 611 North Rampart St., will accept adult residents between the ages of 16 to 21, their dependent children, and any women with dependent minor children. Open 24/7.
- New Orleans Mission, 1130 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., will accept men and women beginning at 4 p.m.
Cold weather preparedness tips include the following:
- Stay inside in heat during extreme cold.
- If you have to go outside, wear layers, a hat and gloves and carry a cell phone.
- Check on neighbors, children, the elderly and chronically ill to make sure they are okay.
- Bring pets and plants inside.
In order to prepare your home and avoid fire hazards, the following tips are advised:
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
- Never use a stove or an oven to heat your home.
- Check your smoke & carbon monoxide detectors to be sure they are working. The New Orleans Fire department will install free smoke detectors and batteries, for more information on that program, click here.
- Have a fire extinguisher and know how to use it.
- Protect your water pipes from damage by insulating them.