Free tax preparation and financial advising will be available at Southern University at New Orleans (SUNO) starting Monday, Jan. 14 through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance/Tax Counseling for the Elderly (VITA/TCE) program.
Those earning $51,000 or less will be able to get assistance in preparing their state and federal tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers give taxpayers information regarding earned income tax credits, child tax credits, and credits for the elderly or disabled. The tax preparers are certified by the Internal Revenue Service. Opened nine years ago, the office has served more than 1,500 families.
The SUNO VITA/TCE Tax Counseling Center is located in Room 114 of the SUNO Conference Center, 6400 Press Drive, New Orleans, LA 70126. The office will be open 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays until April 18, 2019.
Appointments are encouraged, but walk-ins are welcome. To file taxes for married-filling-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the forms.
To have your tax return prepared, be sure to bring the following items:
· Proof of identification (Driver’s license or State ID)
· Social Security Cards for yourself, your spouse and any dependents
· All necessary proof of income, such as W-2, 1098 and 1099
· Bank account routing and account numbers (a cancelled check is acceptable).
· Total paid for daycare services and daycare provider’s tax ID number
· ITIN Notices in lieu of Social Security Number