United Way of Southeast Louisiana (UWSELA) is reopening emergency grant applications for hospitality workers.
Starting at 9 a.m. Friday, April 24, hospitality workers can apply online at www.unitedwaysela.org/hospitalitycares or call 211.
This second round of grants comes after the initial application process, which began on March 21, was temporarily closed because of the high demand for grants. Councilwoman-at-large Helena Moreno then partnered with UWSELA to raise dollars more funds.
The first round of grants provided $500 individual grants to more than 1,300 people. Since then, the fund has grown to $1.5 million with the help of many major donors, including Peyton Manning, Saints linebacker Demario Davis, Entergy New Orleans, Zatarain’s and others.
“These are very necessary grants in our community,” Councilwoman Moreno said in a statement. “We have people who cannot afford basic necessities, plus their bills and rent are stacking up. Every bit of financial help is impactful. I’m proud to partner with UWSELA to ensure that these grants can continue to be awarded to those who are deeply struggling,” said Council President Helena Moreno.
Grant applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Have not previously been awarded a Hospitality Cares Pandemic Response Fund grant
- Earn a household income at or below $61,000
- Reside in United Way of Southeast Louisiana’s seven-parish service area, including Jefferson, Orleans, St. Bernard, St. Tammany, Plaquemines, Tangipahoa, or Washington parishes
- Work(ed) directly for a restaurant, bar or hotel in Louisiana between February 1, 2020, and date of application
- Be experiencing a financial emergency as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak
Supporting documents required for application include:
- Income Eligibility: Copy of 2018 or 2019 1040/1040EZ Federal Tax Return
- Residency Eligibility: (Choice of one) Louisiana Government Issued ID, Louisiana Driver’s License, 2020 Electricity Bill, 2020 Water Utility Bill, Lease or Mortgage Statement
- Industry Eligibility: Paystub with your name, your employer’s name, and days worked between February 1, 2020, and date of application or COVID-19 separation letter from employee
The initial application review will take place within 10 business days of submission. Funds are limited, therefore, it is not guaranteed that each qualified applicant will be approved.