New Orleans Goes into Phase Two on Saturday, June 13

Share Button

Today (Tuesday, June 9), Mayor LaToya Cantrell provided residents with an update on the guidelines for Phase Two of the re-eopening of the city, announcing that Phase Two will go into effect at 6 a.m. Saturday, June 13.

“We are ready to move to the next phase of our safe reopening thanks to the tireless efforts of our public health and safety workers and the diligence and patience of our residents. We have practically gone from worst to first in responding to this pandemic, flattening the curve, and ramping up our testing and other efforts,” said Mayor Cantrell.

On June 5, the state of Louisiana moved to Phase One of reopening. Based on the science and the data from local and national health officials, Mayor Cantrell said the City of New Orleans needed to wait a bit longer, especially considering that New Orleans and its residents have been disproportionately impacted by the initial outbreak.

“In many ways, our Phase Two guidelines will look similar to those implemented last week by the State, with some subtle but key differences,” Mayor Cantrell said. “I want to be very clear: We are NOT out of the woods yet, and how we respond in Phase Two will be pivotal for our city’s recovery.”

To see Mayor Cantrell’s Phase Two press conference, click here.

City Health Director Dr. Jennifer Avegno cautioned that residents should not to ease up on those preventative health measures as Phase Two begins.

“Please continue to wear masks/facial coverings, practice safe social distancing and remember that high risk individuals with underlying medical conditions are still safest at home,” said Dr. Jennifer Avegno. “The New Orleans Health Department continues to mobilize COVID-19 testing sites throughout the city with a focus on our returning workers and those with challenges to accessing care. I encourage everyone to get tested as we continue to flatten the curve and protect the public health and safety of our residents.”

For detailed guidelines on Phase Two reopening in New Orleans, click here.

“We’re proud to be supporting the logistical needs of the City’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Collin Arnold, Director, New Orleans Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness. “This administration leaned in immediately to provide both testing and PPE to residents and that will continue throughout Phase Two. To date, we’ve tested over 13 percent of residents and we’ve provided over 200,000 cloth masks to community members.”

To move into Phase Two, the City had to ensure that it was hitting all the appropriate milestones, ensuring that:

  • Testing is happening and sustainable
  • Healthcare capacity is available and keeping up with need
  • The City is not experiencing dramatic spikes or turnarounds; and
  • Contact tracing is in place
  • New Orleans is now a national leader in testing and serves as a model for how to flatten the curve. Over 13 percent of the population has been tested, at an average of more than 700 tests per day, and which has resulted in a  positive test rate below 3 percent.

City leaders say New Orleans is now a national leader in testing . Over 13 percent of the population has been tested, at an average of more than 700 tests per day, and which has resulted in a  positive test rate below 3 percent.

As in Phase One, all residents must continue to practice physical distancing at least six feet apart; wear a face covering in public; adhere to strict hygiene and sanitation protocols; and remain home if elderly or have high risk medical conditions.

In Phase Two, there will be increased testing focus on: nursing homes, shelters, essential workers, hospitality industry workers, hotspots and high-risk areas.

Phase Two will ease restrictions on medium-risk operations, while continuing limits on occupancy, social distancing measures, and requirements for personal protective equipment. Sector-specific guidelines will be in place to ensure safe operations. High-risk residents, like seniors and people with serious medical conditions, should continue to stay home. Everyone should wear masks/face coverings while performing non-outdoor recreation public activities. All businesses will still be required to register with the State Fire Marshal’s Office via opensafely.la.gov.

The following guidelines are in line with the State’s Phase Two guidelines:

Operations opening at 50 percent capacity with distancing:

  • Restaurants & Bars with food
  • Gyms/Fitness Centers
  • Barbers & Hair Salons
  • Salons, Spas, Tattoo Parlors
  • Retail & Malls
  • Aquariums, Zoos, and Museums
  • Community Centers
  • Conference/Meeting Rooms

Opening at 25 percent capacity with distancing:

  • Bars without food permits
  • Outdoor pools

Operations that will remain closed and prohibited:

  • Indoor live entertainment
  • Festivals and Fairs
  • Amusement parks and Arcades
  • Music and Concert Halls

City Hall will ease some of the physical restrictions and open to the public at limited capacity. Individual departments and agencies will determine their guidelines.

As in Phase One, there are some guidelines that will differ from the State:

  • Houses of Worship and Movie Theaters will open at 50% capacity or 250 people (whichever is fewer)
  • Gaming establishments (casinos, video poker) can open at 25% capacity
  • Gatherings and event venues will be limited to 100 people with 1 crowd control officer per 50 people. (This is for indoor and outdoor event venues.)
  • Special event permits will be required for some locations and events
  • Some operations are required to use a reservation system or to stagger admission. This is not different from Phase One, but it is different from the state.)

Residents and businesses are expected to follow the guidelines as they have been during the Stay Home mandate and through Phase One. The City will be closely following the data for the next three weeks; this will determine the next steps.