Gov. Edwards says more compliance and adherence to restrictions is needed for Louisiana to get on the right track
With COVID-19 cases on the rise across the state, Governor John Bell Edwards announced today that Louisiana would be stepping back to a modified Phase 2 in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Today (Tuesday, Nov. 24), the state health department reported 3,266 new cases and 39 additional deaths. Hospitalizations have also risen.
“Because of the trajectory that we are on and we have been off for the past 10 days or so, it is imperative that we take action and we take action now,” Edwards said.
Edwards signed the executive order Tuesday evening. It becomes effective on Wednesday, Nov. 25, and stays in effect for 28 days.
In addition to the specific restrictions outlined in the modified Phase 2 order, the governor is also urging both private and public employers to “maximize the use of telework were possible.” And with the holiday season going into peak time, he is asking Louisiana’s families to “engage in safe holiday-related activity.”
The modified Phase 2 restrictions include:
- Mask mandate remains in effect, as well as all social distancing guidelines.
- Restaurants, gyms, and other non-essential retail establishments will be limited to 50 percent capacity
- Churches and other places of worship will be limited to 75 percent capacity
- Bars in parishes with lower than a 5 percent positivity rate that have a restaurant permit for at least two consecutive weeks can be open for on-premises, indoor consumption with a capacity limit of 50 percent. Tables must be spaced out with no bar service, and no standing at the bar. Bars must close at 11 p.m., with no one under age 21 allowed on premises.
- Bars in parishes with more than a 5 percent positivity rate for two consecutive weeks can have outdoor, on-premises consumption (no indoor) with no more than 25 percent capacity and no more than 50 people who are seated at spaced out tables, with no bar service, no standing up, and with bars closing at 11 p.m., with no one under age 21 allowed on premises
- Indoor events limited to 25 percent, with no more than 75 people
- Outdoor events limited to 50 percent capacity with no more than 150 people
- Spectators at sporting events limited to 25 percent capacity