The City of New Orleans will activate its citywide freeze plan overnight tonight (Wed., Dec. 16), including providing shelter to homeless residents.
Temperatures are expected to drop overnight and, with wind chill factored in, will remain below the threshold of 35 degrees Fahrenheit long enough to trigger the activation of the freeze plan. The National Weather Service predicts the coldest period to be early Thursday morning with “feels like” temperatures in the mid-30s for several hours.
Shelter for the Homeless
The freeze plan will be in effect to provide temporary shelter for homeless residents. If someone is in need of shelter, please call the NOPD non-emergency number at 504-821-2222. Individuals needing shelter will be accepted, free of charge, at the following locations under the following conditions:
- Low Barrier Shelter, 1530 Gravier St., will accept adults beginning at 8 p.m.
- The Salvation Army, 4530 S. Claiborne Ave., will accept adults beginning at 4 p.m.
- Ozanam Inn, 843 Camp St., will accept men beginning at 6 p.m. for overnight shelter. The courtyard with heaters is open 24/7 to anyone.
- Covenant House, 611 N. Rampart St., will accept individuals age 22 and under, their dependent children, and any women with dependent minor children. Open 24/7.
- New Orleans Mission, 1130 Oretha Castle Haley Blvd., will accept adults beginning at 4 p.m.
Cold Weather Preparedness
Residents are encouraged to take precautions to protect people and pets during cold weather, using these tips:
- Stay inside in heat during extreme cold.
- If you go outside, wear layers, a hat & gloves and carry a cell phone.
- Check on neighbors, children, the elderly & chronically ill to make sure they are okay.
- Bring pets inside.
PRACTICE FIRE SAFETY & PREPARE YOUR HOME
- Never leave space heaters unattended.
- Never use a stove or an oven to heat your home.
- Check your smoke & carbon monoxide detectors to be sure they are working.
- Have a fire extinguisher and know how to use it.