Orleans, Jefferson and five other parishes will administer their own programs
Governor John Bel Edwards recently announced the launch of Louisiana’s new statewide emergency rental assistance program for renters and landlords experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The $161 million program will serve the 57 parishes not operating their own federally funded rental assistance program.
Orleans and Jefferson parishes, along with Caddo, Calcasieu, East Baton Rouge, Lafayette and St. Tammany parishes, will administer their own programs, so terms of eligibility, prioritization, benefits and application process may vary for those Parishes. Renters and landlords in those parishes should contact their local representatives or may visit www.LAStateRent.com to learn more.
This state-administered program will focus on paying past-due rent and up to three months of future rent for eligible applicants. Priority will be given to households where at least one member has been unemployed for more than 90 days due to the pandemic, and to households earning less than 50% of the Area Median Income (AMI), or roughly $28,950 for a family of three. Information on AMI income levels by parish can be found at www.LAStateRent.com/resources.
Additional details of the program include:
- Assistance can cover up to 12 months of back rent and three months of future rent payments.
- Louisiana landlords may apply on their tenant’s behalf.
- Landlords who accept the funds, will not be able to evict tenants for 60 days after the assistance ends without good cause and must forgive late fees, penalties, interest and court costs.
Applications can be submitted in the following ways:
- Online at www.LAStateRent.com
- Via telephone at 877-459-6555. If you need application assistance, call for additional support or information.
Please share this information with friends, family, neighbors, or clients who may be eligible for assistance. To learn more about rental assistance resources across Louisiana visit LaFHAC’s Rental Assistance Resource Page.